De laatste post

Orienteering-news website

woensdag, december 29, 2010

Sylvester: Day 4

Today in Herentals, Yannick Michiels was outstanding and takes the lead in the overall ranking. He ran incredibly fast and managed a two minute gap to follow-up runner Thomas van der Kleij. Van der Kleij was just 3 seconds faster than Ken Peeters. Yesterday's fast runners Alexander Lubina and Daniel Zwiker could not repeat their strong performance. Neither Lubina nor Zwiker could match the pace of Michiels.

In the overall ranking, it's Michiels who takes the lead. He has a solid advantage to Lubina, van der Kleij, Zwiker or Tomas Hendrickx, the main contenders for the podium. That's a lot of people just a few points apart. It will be exciting to watch the competition unfold tomorrow in Lommel-Pijnven, that's for sure.

In the women's class, Iliana Shandurkova won her second stage in a row. After her impressive gap to Geypen yesterday, the latter was only 2 minutes behind today. Their performance tomorrow will decide who will take the top spot. Julia Blomquist and Katja Stöckli both have chances for third place in the overall ranking.

results
splits
map (Jeroen H)
map (Yannick Michiels)
overall (3/4)
overall (4/4)

Emit Problems


In stage two, it happened to Desmond Franssen. Today it was my turn to finish with an incorrect time. Emit/Helga does not like people writing on De Laatste Post.

Desmond noticed it early on and his result was corrected. I only noticed it while looking at the splits. Too late to correct I think.

This is the problem:
- As runners have start times, the computer time is synchronized to the starting clock.
- Runners activate their emit at the start and run their course.
- The emit timer stops as soon as the runner tries to upload his course data to the computer
- If everything is working fine, the data is transmitted and recalculated to the start time
- If the computer is not accepting this data however, perhaps because of some data entry, the timer is also stopped.
- Now when, some time later, you try to upload your data a second time, something is not smart enough to realize that the internal timer was stopped earlier and the time lost is added to the time to the first control.

The man at the computer (Karl Vervoort), was entering data while I first tried to connect and I had to retry some time later. I compared splits to Yannick and I knew I was running fast to the first control, but even then, he had a huge gap. This was strange, but whatever. Now looking at the splits, it's obvious that I experienced the same problems as Desmond in Balen. I caught up with Pieter Hendrickx at control 13 and took the lead. As Hendrickx is a teammate of Michiels, he never took the lead and did not punch any control in front of me. Yet, the splits show him 15 seconds ahead all the time.

This is not the first time something like this happened. We complained about it many years ago. I always use the emit time when organizing an event with start times and correct afterwards with data from the team at the start. It's a shame that such things still happen on events like this and I don't want to know how many people had an incorrect time the last years.

2 Comments:

  • At 29/12/10 19:50, Anonymous r.ma said…

    Emit/Helga does not like people writing on De Laatste Post.

    ...
    This is the problem:
    - As runners have start times, the computer time is synchronized to the starting clock.
    ....

    The man at the computer (Karl Vervoort), was entering data while I first tried to connect and I had to retry some time later.


    The problem is not due to HELGA. The error comes from the fact that the guy at the computer didn't stop any possible aquisition of data by covering the 250 until.
    When he has to do something with the data's, outside aquisition, he has to prevent any reading.

    Furthermore, when you try to punch a second time, in this configuration, Helga send a message "Badge already read - Impossible to read a second time" .

    Conclusion : the whole problem is NOT an HELGA problem, but one due to external events.
    Please be kind to re-analyse your post with these latest informations . r.ma

     
  • At 1/1/11 20:31, Anonymous Anoniem said…

    However I am not at all near any winner-times, I have to say that the same thing happened to me in Balen - Keiheuvel. My total time was over 2'20" longer than the one on my stopwatch which was started and stopped as I started and finished.
    When I arrived at the computer and put in my Emit for getting my result, someone was indeed busy doing other stuff on the computer and I had to ead out a second time. We can only hope that user at the computerdesk are more carefull when doing inputs and keep runners from putting in their card during these procedures.

    Johan

     

Een reactie posten

<< Home